The choir program at Trinity recognizes and welcomes the contributions of musicians and singers of all ages and provides an opportunity for anyone to participate regardless of musical level. Our music program reflects the varied traditions of the Episcopal Church with a strong emphasis on quality in an environment of joy and fellowship.
The Chancel Choir, open to adults and high school students with musical ability, is an SATB choir performing a wide range of liturgical music with a focus towards the traditional. This choir performs at the 11:15 AM Sunday service and rehearses regularly on Sunday mornings and the second, third, fourth, and fifth Thursday of each month at 7 PM. The chancel choir also sings for all major holidays and some special occasions.
The Parish Choir is composed of singers who provide more contemporary music and hymns for the 9:00 AM service on the first and third Sunday of each month. Rehearsal is on the first, third, and fifth Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM. The contemporary choir is complimented by piano and guitar on a regular basis and joins forces with the Chancel Choir on occasion. Anyone is welcome to join regardless of ability, all that's required is a desire to sing!
Trinity's Handbell Choir plays traditional music using tuned cast-bronze handbells. In the tradition of English handbell ringing, membership is open to beginners, intermediate, and advanced and all of our music is custom tailored to meet the specific abilities of each individual ringer. This group performs the fourth Sunday of each month and practice meets each Friday at 10 AM.
Members of the Children's Choir are drawn from those who participate regularly in Children's Church. This group sings at the 9:00 AM service the second Sunday of each month.
For information on joining a choir, please contact our Music Director, Jon Gates. Jon holds office hours by appointment on Tuesdays 9 - 12PM and 1 - 4PM; Wednesdays 11:30 - 4 PM; and Thursdays 9 - 12 PM.
Instrumental And Vocal Solos
Although congregational singing led by organ and choir forms the foundation of our worship music, instrumental and vocal soloists participate regularly in our worship, offering selections as preludes, postludes, and music at communion as well as accompaniment to choir anthems and hymns.
Annual Organ Concert
Each fall, Trinity hosts an annual organ concert which has featured world renowned organists Peter Richard Conte, Marilyn Keiser, Frederick Swann, Ken Cowan, Olivier Latry, Jane Parker-Smith, Erik Suter and Janette Fishell. The annual concert is a primary way of funding the upkeep of our historic instrument and any financial support is greatly appreciated in maintaining our organ. Become a sponsor today and be sure to specify that your donation is for the Organ Concert.
Archangel - $500 sponsorship
Angel - $250 sponsorship
Saint - $150 sponsorship
Seraphim - $100 sponsorship
Cherubim - $50 sponsorship
Aeolian-Skinner Opus Organ 1482
Trinity's organ is a 3 manual, 91 rank Aeolian-Skinner (Opus 1482) hybrid pipe and digital organ. It was installed in 1967 and restored in 1999. The organ has a magnificent full sound and versatile color than can be used for many styles of play from French to Baroque.
The History of Organs at Trinity
Historical records indicate that Trinity Church has had an organ since at least 1857 when an organ built by Henry Erben of New York was installed. Earlier organs probably existed at Trinity, but nothing is known about them. The organ was taken down for construction in 1902 and rebuilt afterwards, adding a rank of 8' diapason pipes. Further details of this instrument are unknown.
In the fall of 1914, a new Austin Organ of three manuals and 22 ranks, Opus 504, was installed as a memorial to Junius T. Smith, given by his wife, Laura W. Smith. It served well for 53 years, but termites, water damage and changing musical tastes finally rendered it unfit for further use, and in 1965 an organ committee was appointed by the Vestry to research and recommend a new organ.
The organ committee determined that the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts, made the finest organs at the time and recommended them as the builder. Aeolian-Skinner built outstanding organs for the Mormon Tabernacle, Salt Lake City; Grace Cathedral, San Francisco; The Riverside Church, St. Thomas Church, and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, all in New York. After a congregational vote, a three manual organ of 41 ranks (2,349 pipes) was ordered in the summer of 1966. The new organ was installed in the the fall of 1967 and dedicated on November 5, 1967. It was enjoyed by many visitors as well as our own congregation. However, after thirty years of use and Florida humidity the instrument showed signs of wear and extensive repairs needed to be made. The organ was partially restored during the 1990's. As part of the restoration, the organ was cleaned, the console restored, and several sets of pipes rebuilt and replaced. At that time a number of artificial (digital) voices were also added.